Sunday, April 10, 2011

Course Reflection 01

I've already learned a lot about design which I was somewhat surprised by.  I basically went into this class thinking "design" was just visual communication design.  I hadn't really thought of architecture, product design, or interior space design as "design".  It's been really interesting to see how these aspects of design that I hadn't even really considered have affected so much in design.  For example, machinery changing the aesthetics from curvilinear to rectilinear and introduced a new style that carried over into every aspect of design.  Simplification and streamlining came as a result of machinery being able to mass produce products and this simplified look caught on and became part of visual communication too.

I also thought the evolution of the chair was really interesting.  Seeing how technology changed the ways materials could be used to make a chair and how these changes led to completely new forms and shapes was really cool, I personally liked the Tulip Chair and the Panton Chair the best.  It  was even better when we were able to go to the architecture library and sit in some of the chairs we had seen.  I would have never considered different chairs different forms of design until this class, and I'm really interested to see how my perspectives on other things will change after studying them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment